For any remote working individual or a home workout enthusiast, a home office or a home gym respectively is mandatory. As for space, most people modify their garage spaces to create extra room. The most common modification is constructing a bonus room over the garage, especially where the garage has high walls. After you have considered the factors, we will give you a quick guide on the different types of flooring available in the market.
Most of the modern affordable houses being constructed today have limited space both inside and outside. At the same time, most people are coming to appreciate remote working and having many other facilities, such as gyms at their disposal.
For remote working, you need an office space that is distinct from the other places in the house. This is important for productivity as well as to prevent fatigue. Imagine sleeping in your bedroom and waking up to work in the same space.
It will be challenging for the mind to distinguish between the sleeping space and the working space. This explains why it might be difficult to stay awake the whole time while working from the bedroom.
5 Best-Selling Flooring for Bonus Room over Garage
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Flooring for Bonus Room over Garage
- easy do-it-yourself installation - just peel 'n' stick. no wax finish. 12 inch x 12 inch tile - 1.2mm thick . 20 square feet per box (20 tiles per box). 5 year limited warranty.
- easy do-it-yourself installation - just peel 'n' stick.
- no wax finish.
- 12 inch x 12 inch tile - 1.2mm thick.
- 20 square feet per box (20 tiles per box).
Vinyl flooring is one of the most preferred floorings for the bonus room over the garage. This is because of its affordability and durability as well as the fact that they none slippery. It is suitable even in winter because when compared to ceramic tiles which are known to get very cold.
The best thing with vinyl flooring is that it is not permanently installed and you can always remove it. You can also lay it on ceramic tiles, either for beauty or keep the floor warm.
Vinyl flooring is ideal for any space ranging from office to play area. It is easy to clean and is stain resistant. Installing this floor can be a DIY project if you are working with a tight budget. It is, however, advisable to get the input of professional flooring installers.
- high variation for a reclaimed look
- waterproof with high residential or moderate commercial durability
- unilin patented locking technology
- simple diy floating installation
- 2mm hd underlayment foam preattached for simple diy install
Laminate wood flooring is a substitute for traditional wood flooring. What makes laminate more preferable to wood is the fact that it is more affordable and easier to maintain. It is not as delicate as wood, which cannot withstand water.
Laminate is way more durable compared to all the other flooring types. The outer layer is made from a rigid material, and it is coated by resin, making it resistant to scratches and impact.
For this reason, it is ideal for spaces with pets and high activity areas such as the gym.
Besides the durability, laminate wood flooring is also ideal for all weather conditions because it does not get cold. Once you install it, therefore, you will not need to keep changing to accommodate the prevailing weather.
Laminate wood flooring would therefore be the best flooring for your bonus room over the garage.
- indoor outdoor carpet - great for your patio, deck, boat, sunroom and more
- made of polyester fibers - resistant to stains, mold and mildew easy to clean
- uv-protected outdoor carpet with rubber marine backing - weather and fade resistant
- carpet edges are unbound yet do not fray use as is or trim to size using a utility knife or scissors
- features low pile height (approx. ¼ inch) with ribbed texture for traction
A wall to wall carpet is a type of carpet that stretches across the entire room. It is usually cut at the store according to the room’s measurements. This gives the floor a neat and seamless appearance.
Just like laying a standard carpet, wall to wall carpets can be spread on the floor and held in place by furniture. For a more permanent fixing, however, you can fix the wall to wall carpet using glue.
The one factor that makes the wall to wall carpet the best option for a bonus room over the garage is that it can be used for different purposes. Be it an office that you are putting up there, or a gym, or even a family or relaxing place, wall-to-wall carpet is ideal.
The other reason is that a wall to wall carpet will keep the floor warm during the cold season. You can lay it over the ceramic tiles and get a permanent solution to cold floors.
- quick and easy installation: saves you both time and money. simply peel off the plastic film and place in position. complete installation and design instructions in every carton.
- multiple design possibilities: carpet tiles may be used in various configurations to create the perfect setting for any environment.
- scotchgard : treated with scotchgard protector to help resist soil and stains. suitable for below-grade installations such as basements.
- use almost anywhere: carpet tiles are perfect for bedrooms, kitchens, basements, dens, playrooms, laundry rooms, entry ways, rental properties, dorm rooms, hallways, retail stores, offices and a host of other applications. the only limit is your imagination.
- value priced underfoot comfort. an economical do-it-yourself way to update almost any room or location. sturdy carpet tiles are soft and warm underfoot and create a comfortable and cozy setting.
Carpet tiles are individual squares of carpets which come in different colors and designs. This makes it possible to match the tiles to come up with a beautiful pattern.
Besides the aesthetic value, carpet tiles are cozy and warm while at the same time easy to install and maintain. Because of their small sizes, they can be installed without having to move the furniture outside. You will only need to be moving specific pieces of furniture as you go along.
When it comes to the cost, carpet tiles are an affordable option. The most significant advantage is that there is reduced wastage during installation since they are in pieces, and very minimal cutting is required.
As for the installation, you need to engage a professional because a slight mismatch can spoil the entire arrangement. You do not want your bonus room over the garage floor looking ragged.
- fit-lock rubber tiles absorb shock and impact from heavy weights and equipment thus protecting both the machinery and the floor from damage.
- these tiles are 3/8” thick, 2' x 2', 4 square feet each.
- fit-lock's seamless interlocking system makes these rubber tiles easy to install and does not require adhesive.
- center, border and corner tiles allow for a finished look whether covering a specific area within a room or laying the tiles wall-to-wall.
- this set contains 4 corner tiles
Rubber flooring is known to be durable and easy to maintain, and while it may be a little bit more costly compared to other options, it comes with more benefits. It is available in different colors; hence you have the opportunity to choose what will match with your theme.
The most significant advantage of using rubber flooring for your bonus room over the garage is that it is slip-resistant. This makes it applicable irrespective of how you intend to use the bonus room.
Rubber is naturally bouncy; hence with the rubber flooring, there is a meager chance that items falling will break.
Finally, rubber flooring is resistant to scratches, stains and mildew, making it ideal for pet owners and wet environment.
The bonus room over the garage can be used for many other purposes, and the type of flooring will largely depend on this. Some people put a storage area up there, while some find it more suitable to be some relaxation and meditation space.
Considering the location, the bonus room over the garage can be a quiet place, hence its usefulness as an office or a homeschooling classroom.
1. The intended Use for the Bonus Room
The flooring used in a gym will not be the same as that of an office. The gym will need more resilient material that can accommodate the weight of the equipment as well as the rigorous activities involved in working out.
For office use or storage purposes, a lighter material can be used as long as it can accommodate the weight of the furniture or the items being stored in there.
2. Weather Conditions
Depending on your location, weather patterns can be extreme; that is very cold during winter and extremely hot during summer. It will help if you put this into consideration when constructing the bonus room over the garage.
The best way to go about it is to get the type of flooring that is suitable for both extremes. In case this is not possible, you can have a semi-fixed floor that can always be changed to accommodate the current weather.
Before you settle for a specific type of floor, you must consider your budget. It would be best if you struck a balance between quality and price. To achieve this, you will need to do window shopping and compare the prices of different products in different stores.
- The Best Garage Floor Mats for Snow: Guide to Buying the most Appropriate Garage Mats For the Winter Season - December 12, 2020
- The Best Garage Door Lubricant for Cold Weather: Reviews and Buying Guide - November 19, 2020
- The Best Flooring for Bonus Room Over Garage - November 10, 2020