One of the most overlooked yet very important parts of the garage is the breaker box. As the main electrical switchboard, it not only provides convenience but also ensures that everything in the garage is safe.
5 Best-Selling Breaker Box for Garage
- 1 1. Leviton 51120-1 120/240 Volt Panel Protector Commercial/Residential Grade
- 2 2. Square D by Schneider Electric HOM1224L125PC
- 3 3. Siemens P1224L1125CU 125-Amp 12-Space
- 4 4. Siemens W0816ML1125CU Load Center
- 5 5. Murray LC002GSU Load Center
- 6 Buying Guide
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
- 8 Conclusion
With several brands in the market, settling on the best can be tricky. But, if you are aware of what you are looking for you’ll end up with the right one. The best unit should be made of high-quality materials and be able to provide uninterruptable protection.
Here is a review of the best breaker boxes for garage to help you out.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Breaker Box for Garage
- 120/240 volt panel protector 4-mode protection
- real time diagnostic visual indicator shows power and suppression status for each protected phase
- standard j-box metal enclosures
- compatible with decora home controls
- limited lifetime
If you are looking for a single-phase protector with a short circuit rating, Leviton 51120-1 is the right choice. Coming with a maximum surge capacity of 50k, this unit is suitable for electronic devices such as LCD and LED TVs, computers, and PDA products.
Designed for single-phase application, it’s suitable for garage, homes, and light commercial buildings. With its visual indicator, it will provide a real-time power indicator.
Since it uses a J-Box metal housing, it has strong build quality. Fully portable, it’s a small box that you can install wherever you want. Depending on the frequency of the surges, you can comfortably use it until the indicators get shut off.
While it’s a bit expensive, you can rest assured you’ll get value for your money. As a good breaker box, it will protect your garage’s electrical and electronic devices.
- includes a fully distributed neutral bar, allowing for the installation of homeline plug-on neutral combination arc fault breakers on any space
- each pole space accepts full-size, tandem or quad breakers
- ground and neutral bars accept up to (3) #10-14 equipment grounds
- includes a combination flush/surface cover and is convertible to main breaker load center with a qom1 main breaker (sold separately)
- accommodates plug-on secondary surge arrestor (sold separately)
Capable of accommodating up to 12 breakers, Square D b Schneider is one of the best breaker boxes out there. Once installed, you don’t even need any upgrades in the future.
Featuring a capacity of up to 125 amps having it at home is more of a blessing to you. With the breaker board having a capacity of 24 circuits, if you have three machines that need a dual unit, this will be more than enough.
Coming with covers, you don’t have to chip your wall to mount it. To protect your electrical system without having to install a secondary box, it has a plug on surge arresters.
Given that it has UL certification it’s quite suitable for both the home garage and commercial buildings applications.
Once you invest in this panel, you’ll save yourself a lot from the hassle of rewiring your home in the future.
- single phase 125 amp main lug load center with 12 spaces/24 circuits
- features siemens patented insta-wire technology which allows for quick and easy installation because screws are already backed out, ready for wire insertion on ground and neutral bars
- copper bus
- all devices are provided with 2 factory installed ground bars
- mounting tabs on the trim hold the load center in place freeing up both hands to drive the trim screws
The Siemens Residential Electrical Panel is one of the best breaker boxes for garage. Ergonomically designed, it comes with all the things that you need for installation.
Equipped with up to 12 spaces for 24 circuits, it will comfortably cover your home and garage. As a matter of fact, its 125 amp capacity is more than enough for those applications. Once installed, you can even use it on heavy machinery in your garage.
To conduct electricity to the breakers it uses a copper bus. This makes it efficient and resistant to corrosion.
One thing you’ll love is its mounting tabs. With this feature, you’ll easily fix it into place. It also allows you to use both hands to secure it in place. Whether you are pro or novice, you’ll find it quite convenient.
Coming with all the instructions you need, you can start using it as soon as possible.
- item weight: 13.0 lb
- country of origin: united states
- brand name: siemens
- item dimensions: 15.5"l x 13.0"w x 5.3"h
As one of the most popular breaker boxes in the market, Siemens W0816ML1125CU has everything you need from breaker box. With its 8 slot design and 125 Amp capacity, it’s suitable for both outdoor and indoor use.
Designed for outdoor and indoor use, it has a weatherproof box that will handle both snow and rain. With this unit, you can be confident that your circuit won’t short due to leakage. Compact and small, it won’t occupy a lot of space on the wall.
Weighing only 13 pounds, you don’t need any heavy-duty brackets to secure it on the wall. If you are looking for the best panel, you’ll definitely love this one.
- the product is good to use
- the product is of high quality
- manufactured in china
Fitted with enough capacity to run most of your electrical equipment, Murray LC002GSU Load Center is a suitable unit for a small garage. Since it has a 2 slot circuit, you can run up to 4 circuits.
As compared to others it’s fitted with cutouts on both sides thus giving you the flexibility to connect it to any circuit. Consuming a space of 11 x 6 inches and weighing 3.25 lbs, you can easily mount it on any part of the garage.
This means you don’t require any backing to secure it in place. Designed for indoor use it has compact construction that seems to fit well in any space.
The most amazing thing is that it’s a high-quality product at quite an affordable price. The fact that it accommodates a variety of breakers means you can make good use of your budget.
1. Place and Purpose
When shopping for the right breaker box, you need to know where you are going to use it. Besides this, identify where you are going to install it. In this case, the best breaker box should be suitable for your garage.
2. Size and Capacity
Before settling on one, you must estimate the machines and appliances you have in your garage. A typical small garage would require a 60-amp capacity breaker box. However, you need to have a buffer to cater to any additional machine that you might buy.
While most garages are powered by 110 volts, there are some rooms that require a higher rating. Whether you have a high powered device or an important machine, you should confirm if your breaker box is suited for this power model.
4. Breaking Capacity
It’s also important to consider the fault current amount of the system that you are going to use. Make sure you use a breaker box whose capacity is greater than or equal to the fault current system.
To avoid confusion and damage, your breaker box should be installed in a singular position. You also need to keep in mind the standard electrical panel sizes. If you are not sure how to go about it, hiring an expert is the way to go.
Frequently Asked Questions
Also known as a circuit breaker panel, a breaker box is a switching device that breaks the connection between the source and the load side to keep your devices safe.
When you are using too many electrical devices the wiring system may start heating up. Instead of allowing the machines to absorb heat, the breaker box will trip and cut off electricity in the section where the overheating is taking place thus cutting off any disaster.
Unless your garage has heavy pieces of machinery and high powered electronics, 100 amp breaker boxes is just enough. As a matter of fact, it’s more than enough to cover all your needs.
You need to install your breaker box based on your garage’s electrical plan. If you don’t have the skills needed a licensed electrician should help you do this.
With each garage having its own requirements, there is no one fits all solutions for all of them. If you are not sure consult an electrician to help you out. The more you are informed the more you’ll be able to deal with the challenges.
- The Best Bulbs for Exterior Garage Lighting: Make Your Garage Beautiful and Safe With These Amazing Bulbs - January 15, 2021
- The Best Breaker Box for Garage: Protect Your Expensive Electrical and Electronic Devices and Keep Your Garage Safe with This Breaker Panels - January 13, 2021
- The Best Brooms for Garage Workshop: Sweep All the Dust, Dirt, and Debris and Make Your Garage Workshop Sparkling Clean - January 13, 2021