Painting wood is very easy, you only need to spray it with acrylic paint and you’re done. But the challenging and most time-consuming part is the preparation process.
5 Best-SellingPrimer for Wood Garage Door
If you do not prime your garage door’s surface properly, the paint that you will apply afters will end up immediately peeling of the surface. Furthermore, you cannot just use the water-based primers that are widely available in hardware stores.
But do not fret, since wood primers are also available in your local hardware store and the good thing about it is, you can actually get the wood primer online on Amazon. Stick around since we will be going through the best primer for wooden garage doors that you can purchase online.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Primer for Wood Garage Door
- this powerful stain-blocking water-base formula seals surfaces, helps to achieve a uniform finish, hides stains and previous colors and offers excellent adhesion to most interior and exterior surfaces.
- kilz premium offer just the right consistency for a smooth and level finish that seals porous surfaces and fills in small imperfections. it features mildewcide protection to prevent mildew and mold.
- with excellent adhesion for most surfaces, use on interior and exterior drywall, plaster, woodwork, paneling, masonry and brick. ideal for high-humidity areas including bathrooms and laundry rooms.
- use for color changes, to seal light to medium stains and to minimize surface imperfections caused by texture and porosity differences. for heavy stains, please consider kilz max primer.
- this is a 1-gallon can of kilz premium high-hide stain blocking latex primer/sealer in white for interior and exterior surfaces. covers approximately 300-400 square feet per gallon.
KILZ Premium Primer works on any surfaces which include various woodwork. This is the ideal primer for areas with high humidity and can work for both indoor and outdoor priming tasks.
It also contains mildewcide, which is designed to protect the wooden surface from mold and mildew formation. This primer comes in 1-gallon containers and can cover an area of around 350 square feet. It is best used with oil-based or latex paint.
- ideal for use on wood or fiberglass surfaces above the waterline
- applies as a base coat to ensure for better adhesion of topcoats and longer-lasting finishes
- dries to the touch in 1 hour and covers 100 sq ft
- durable, corrosion-resistant primer sands easily and works on bare, lightly rusted and previously painted surfaces for maximum protection
- allows finishing paint to dry to an even gloss with an elegant look
Rust-Oleum Wood Primer product is specially formulated to be effective on fiberglass and wood surfaces. It provides a very durable layer that can easily be sanded.
It can also work on either previously-painted or bare surfaces and greatly works well with glossy topcoats. It even enhances the gloss factor that comes with the finish.
The full cure time for this primer is 1 hour and one container can cover a little over 100 square feet.
- protective primer specially formulated to paint over and kill existing mold, mildew, moss, fungi and odor causing bacteria on non-porous interior and exterior surfaces
- low odor, water-based coating cleans up easily with soap and water
- covers up to 160 square feet, dries to the touch in 30 minutes and recoats within one hour for quick project completion
- formulated to kill existing mold, mildew and odor causing bacteria along with an epa registered antimicrobial to prevent future growth of mold, mildew and other fungal organisms on the paint film
- works with any topcoat, ideal for use with zinsser perma-white. binds chalky siding, masonry, and metal
As we all know our garage doors are always exposed to extreme conditions. And when you have a wooden garage door, you would need to provide extra care because it is very conducive to mold and mildew formation.
Here is where Zinsser Mold Killing Primer comes in. Regardless if you are repainting or painting your newly installed wooden garage doors, make sure that you prime its surface with this product.
It is a water-based primer that has a very low odor. Stains can also be easily removed by soap and water. This product can easily bind with any topcoat and one container can cover 160 square feet.
- ideal for use on interior/exterior surfaces including wood, plastic, plaster, metal, masonry and unglazed ceramic
- oil-based formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- dries to touch in 20 minutes and covers up to 12 sq. ft. per can
- durable formula provides excellent hide and goes on smoothly
- ultra matte finish gives projects a no-shine, vintage appearance
For your retouch and spot repainting needs, we have Rust-Oleum aerosol primer for you. It is ideal for use on any kind of surfaces including wood and masonry. It is also applicable to indoor and outdoor surfaces.
It has an oil-based formula with a curing time of 20 minutes. Each container can cover up to 12 square feet.
- it remains our goal to earn your trust through the traditional way we do business
- darice has always been committed to offering customers the lowest prices on its extensive selection of products
- manufactured in united states
- can be used on wood, metal, glass, glazed ceramics, terra cotta and plaster
For your spot repainting needs, we have this fast-drying DecoArt multi-purpose sealer that works well on different types of surfaces especially wood.
You only need to thin it with water if you would need to apply it on absorbent surfaces. This product is non-toxic and the finish is clear. This product comes in 8-ounce bottles.
The purpose of this buying guide is to give the readers an overview as to what the challenges are when they are dealing with a wooden garage door.
This guide will also provide the details as to what they should purchase in order to properly prime the wood surface of their garage door.
2. Why Should I Use A Primer On Wood?
Unlike metal and cement surfaces, wood is more prone to molds and mildew formation. And it is more challenging to paint when compared to other surfaces.
The problem with wood is that it is highly absorbent and using the wrong type of primer will only lead to topcoat peeling. Painting is the easy part, but preparing your wood surface for painting is the activity that would take most of your time.
Now to make this task a bit easier, you should use the right primer for the job. Applying the right kind of formulation on the surface will make the topcoat finish more durable and with the better quality overall.
3. Primers For Wood
Wood primers are the first coating that you should apply on your bare wood surface. The thing with wood surfaces is that you can not just use any type of primer that you can see on the market.
Aluminum primers would definitely not work with wooden surfaces, and the same goes with wooden primers when applied to metal surfaces.
Now, the primary purpose of using the right primer is that it greatly increases the adherence of your topcoat paint to the wooden surface. The durability of the paint and its overall quality increase as well and therefore, it will be able to provide your wooden garage door better protection from the elements.
4. Canned Primers and Aerosol Primers
Canned primers are best used when you are doing a major repainting job or are painting a totally bare wooden surface. It is also cheaper as well and comes in larger quantities.
You only need to adjust the primer to the right formulation so that it will work effectively on your wooden surface.
Aerosol primers are very effective as well but are much more expensive when compared to the canned ones. But for retouch and spot repainting jobs, this is where they excel.
That is because you only need to spray it directly on the surface and it dries quickly as well. Curing time is normally around 20 minutes then you can apply the topcoat.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want your garage door to be more protected and to increase the adherence of the paint to your garage door’s surface, then you need to prime it.
Wooden doors need to be patched and primed before repainting. It also needs to be sanded down to maximize the adherence of the paint.
You can use multi-purpose primers but the most effective are the wood-specific primers.
Latex paints are the best that you can use for your garage door since they offer the most durability.
Yes, you should. Especially when your garage door is made of wood.
Our list contains the best primers for your wooden doors that you can purchase on Amazon. So click on the link that we provided and it will redirect you to the product of your choice.