Painting aluminum surfaces is a straight-forward thing to do if you are following the correct steps in accomplishing the task. And like any other surface, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned and a primer should be applied to ensure that the paint will adhere to the surface.
5 Best-Selling Primer for Aluminum Garage Doors
So how is the process different from any other paint job? Well, for the task to succeed, the proper primer needs to be applied to the aluminum surface.
Oil-based primers are the way to go when it comes to dealing with aluminum surfaces. That is because latex-based primers do not stick to aluminum as oil-based primers do. In this article, we will be looking at the best primers in Amazon that will aid you in your DIY garage door painting project.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Primer for Aluminum Garage Doors
- weather and corrosion resistant primer bonds tightly to exterior/interior surfaces and specially formulated for aluminum galvanized metal
- water-based acrylic formula provides a durable protective coating with excellent rust prevention
- dries to touch in 1-2 hours and covers up to 55-90 sq. ft.
- primer provides a base for excellent adhesion and withstands demanding, heavy-use environments
- creates a flat gray finish that can be covered with wide variety of topcoats
Rust-Oleum Aluminum Primer is specially formulated for use on aluminum and other galvanized metals. Its water-based formula can dry within 2 hours of application. It also provides top-notch rust proofing and durable coating.
This product can cover up to 90 square feet and is an excellent adhesive base for your paint of choice. Its final finish is flat gray and is an excellent base for various topcoats.
Since this comes in the standard formulation, you can refer to the thinning instructions on the packaging to get the right formulation for the task at hand.
- the dupli-color scratch fix all-in-1 touch-up tool features an abrasive prep tip, exact-color match paint, and clear coat
- we are the only brand with colors tested and approved by vehicle manufacturers for a perfect match to the original factory finish when restoring that scratch or chip
- through creativity, productivity and innovation - this brand continues to develop the finest automotive accessories
- flash point: -104.0 degrees_celsius
If you want a primer for quick fixes without the need of mixing it with a thinner, then this Dupli-Color Self-Etching Primer is for you. This is your go-to primer when you are spot painting your aluminum garage door.
This brand is highly recommended by people from the automotive industry and has undergone various color testing among car manufacturers. If this works for cars, then surely it is great for your garage door too.
- the package length of the product is 7.874 centimeters
- the package width of the product is 8.128 centimeters
- the package height of the product is 8.636 centimeters
- country of origin: united states
KBS Coatings Self-Etch Primer all-purpose self-etching primer is perfect for use on your aluminum garage door since this product is specifically engineered for use on aluminum panels of cars. And since cars go through far worse cases than your garage doors, then it is guaranteed that this product is highly durable.
KBS Coatings pride themselves with the top-notch performance of their products and is highly rated in the automotive industry. Application is very easy as well and you do not need to wait for a couple of hours for it to dry.
This product allows you to start with your topcoat 30 minutes after its application.
- the first step in priming bare metal
- promotes maximum paint adhesion
- corrosion resistant
- ideal for most plastic and fiberglass
- this item is not for sale in catalina island
If you need a primer that does the job with just a shake of a bottle then this product is for you. VHT Self-Etch Primer product should be your first choice when it comes to preparing and priming bare aluminum surfaces.
This product is durable and is highly corrosion-resistant. It also allows for maximum paint adhesion. It comes in 11-ounce aerosol bottles and is highly rated on Amazon.
- a durable, zinc enhanced coating that protects all metal surfaces
- electrochemical galvanic action keeps on protecting even if scratched
- dry film is 86-percent pigment which results in less smoke and electrode wear when welding
- cuts faster than 100-percent zinc rich coatings
- heat resistant up to 250˚f
When we talk about premium primers then this brand should be on your list. Seymour Professional Primer is a self-etching primer that is enhanced with zinc making it even more effective in protecting metal surfaces.
This primer is perfect especially when you are doing welding jobs on your garage door. You do not have to worry about this primer catching fire since it is highly resistant to heat.
1. Type Of Primer
Primers are widely available in the market, some claiming to be the best for all types of surfaces. Aluminum is not like any other metal surface wherein it is just a straight-up application.
But, it does follow the same painting process just like any other surface except for the materials that you would need to use. Primers in particular have a very critical role to play when it comes to painting.
It does not only protect the immediate surface from corrosion but, also acts as an adhesive to the topcoat or paint.
2. Primer Formulation
Primer formulation should be taken into consideration since as discussed earlier, not all types of primers are fit to work on aluminum. That is because aluminum in nature forms a thin layer of aluminum oxide on its surface.
This makes it challenging for most primers to adhere unless this thin layer is removed. The key here is to apply a primer with the correct formulation on the aluminum surface.
These are called self-etching primers. What these primers do is remove the oxidation that naturally occurs on the aluminum’s surface.
It needs to be intricately applied as well otherwise, your topcoat will not adhere to the surface properly. Your paint layers will end up peeling in no time after it is applied.
For canned primers, what you need to do is to thin the primer based on the manufacturer’s recommendation. You need to do this correctly to get the right formulation.
Once you have cleaned the metal’s surface thoroughly, you may now start applying the primer and let it stand until it dries.
Like cars, your garage doors are exposed to various extreme conditions daily. Good thing most primers for aluminum applications are specially made for cars.
Aluminum is widely used for various high-stress applications, thus it also needs to be protected to avoid any form of corrosion. And for your garage door since it is exposed to different weather conditions, only use the correct primer for the job.
4. Ease Of Application
If you are opting for spot painting, then aerosol primers would do the job just fine. But if you are painting a large surface, then get the ones that come in big cans. Just make sure that you dilute the formulation the right way.
Benefits of Priming
- It can seal unpainted surfaces of drywall or wood pores.
- Covering the imperfect walls or doors that have been repaired or patched.
- Providing surface so the paint can stick to.
- Block out stains and odors.
- Bringing the paint colors back to their neutral.
- Helps you get the correct color.
Frequently Asked Questions
The process is the same, you just need to clean the surface thoroughly and apply the primer accordingly. Make sure that you give ample time for it to dry before applying the topcoat.
Self-etching primers are the best choice for this task.
The best choice is acrylic-based paints.
Yes, it gives your garage door protection from corrosion aside from the aesthetic benefits that come from it.
If not primed correctly, paint peels off due to the natural oxidation that occurs on any aluminum surface.
We have provided you with the best primers that you can purchase from Amazon. So get yourself only the best through the links that we have provided above.