It is understandable why the walls of the garage should be designed with plywood as the garage is usually where all equipment and baggage, both relevant and irrelevant, are stashed away.
5 Best-Selling Paints for Garage Interior Plywood Walls
- 1. Rust-Oleum Spray Paint and Primer
- 2. KILZ Waterproofing Paint for Interior/Exterior
- 3. KILZ Wood and Concrete Coating
- 4. RUST-OLEUM fast-drying Latex
- 5. Seymour Industrial Spray Paint
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Sometimes the walls get scratches, dents, scrapes, and even mold due to the moisture and compact confinement. The good news is that there is always a way to bring your plywood garage interior back to life. Usually, the best option is to give it a new face by giving the plywood a paint makeover. The problem is usually choosing the right paint. Once you have found the best paint for your garage interior plywood wall, the next step is to follow certain steps and procedures to ensure that the painting process is done correctly.
Let’s start with the first step; getting the best paint for interior plywood.
It should go without saying that not all paint is suitable for plywood. Finding the right paint can be a bit of a bottleneck if you do not know what you are doing. So, in order to expedite the paint-finding phase and get you straight to the painting procedure, we have taken the time to pick out the 5 best paints that will give your garage plywood interior a most ravishing finish. Here are our choices and recommendations for your plywood interior garage wall.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Paints for Garage Interior Plywood Walls
- works on virtually any surface including wood, plastic, metal, fiberglass, concrete, wicker, vinyl and more
- oil-based formula with excellent adhesion prevents rust, resists fading and chipping for a long lasting finish
- fast drying formula dries to the touch in 30 minutes and covers up to 15 sq ft per can
- prevents rust and corrosion for enhanced durability
- gloss finish gives a fresh shine to surfaces
Why buy primer and then buy paint when you can buy a single product that acts as both paint and primer. The Rust-Oleum spray paint comes in a variety of colors and is built for a variety of other surfaces such as plastic, metal, concrete, wood, wicker, and vinyl. It is an oil-based formula that dries up in just 30 minutes. Each container can cover up to up to 15 sq ft. it gives your plywood interior a beautiful finish. To use this product, shake the can for up to one minute.
- this premium, interior/exterior paint is formulated to waterproof and seal porous concrete and masonry surfaces both inside and outside your home.
- using nanotechnology, this paint forms a barrier to help stop water infiltration while an alkali resistant coating provides a long-lasting, durable and decorative finish.
- apply this paint on properly prepped and cured above and below grade basement walls, masonry walls, retaining walls, cinder and concrete blocks, stucco and brick. do not use on floors or on walls with active water leaks.
- prime all uncoated, patched, chalky, and adjacent wood and/or metal surfaces with kilz premium primer. for below grade application, fill all holes/cracks with hydraulic cement prior to painting.
- this is a 1-gallon can of interior/exterior basement and masonry waterproofing paint, white, 1-gallon in white. depending on surface porosity, 1 gallon covers 75 to 125 square feet per.
The KILZ waterproofing paint is formulated for sealing porous concrete and to make your wood waterproof. It uses nanotechnology to create a barricade that stops water molecules from penetrating; asides from that, it also acts as a primer for chalky, uncoated, and patched wood and metal surface. The 1-gallon container can cover as much as 75 to 125 sq ft. At least two coat applications are required. It is one of the best paints for a decorative finish.
- over armor offers an innovative solid color coating that brings old, weathered wood or concrete back to life with an advanced and durable 100% acrylic resin formula.
- this solid color, smooth coating bridges cracks, hides imperfections, and gives a uniform look to old, weathered wood and concrete.
- use on weathered or cracked horizontal or vertical wood and composite surfaces such as decks, porches and boat docks, or railings as well as concrete surfaces like pool decks, patios and sidewalks.
- over armor is designed to conceal splinters and cracks up to 1/4-inch and creates a smooth, slip-resistant finish.
- this is a 1-gallon can of kilz over armor smooth surface coating in slate gray. covers approximately 75 square feet per gallon.
KILZ wood paint provides you with 128 ounces of fluid that covers at least 75 sq. ft. if you are looking to bring that old wood or concrete back to life then what you need is the 100% acrylic resin formula of the premium primer and paint. It requires two coatings for durability. Application is extremely easy; simply brush, spray-on, or roll, then wait for 4 to 6 hours before applying a second coating.
- use for a variety of indoor and outdoor project surfaces including wood, metal, plaster, masonry or unglazed ceramic
- water-based acrylic formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- covers up to 120 sq ft and dries to touch in 30 minutes for quick project completion
- semi-gloss finish provides a soft shine on surfaces, goes on smoothly and provides excellent hide
- prior to application sand surfaces with 180/200 grit sandpaper, then wash with a degreaser, allow the surface to dry and apply paint
There are a lot of features that makes the RUST-OLEUM ultra-cover one of the finest paints in the market. The water-based acrylic formula has a very low odor so you do not need to worry about odor in spaces with very poor ventilation. It provides long-lasting protection and strength that resists chipping. The premium paint offers a glossy finish for wood, unglazed ceramic, metal and other materials.
- 3-4 times the coverage of standard aerosol spray paint
- does not run or sag
- protects against rust, weather, oil, gasoline and most corrosive chemicals
- resists abrasion and heat
- has single coat hiding
The Seymour Industrial paint has a single coat application and does not run or sag. It protects against oil, weather, corrosive chemicals, gasoline, rust, and others. it also resists heat and abrasion. The application process is extremely easy, simply spray on the surface on specified instructions and the end product is a beautiful wood interior.
Plywood is widely used in DIY projects and often makes a most attractive design when used as an interior decoration. Painting your plywood wall is just another phase in improving its aesthetics. Asides from picking the right paint, there are a few steps that are highly recommended when painting plywood.
1. Defining your Wood
What wood type are you looking to paint? The level of preparation that you need to make largely depends on the type of wood that you need to work on. High-grade plywood may be easy to paint but if what you have is a construction-grade type of plywood then you’d have to dedicate a bit more time to the process in order to get the perfect finish.
It is advisable to fill the cracks and holes that may exist on the wood using drywall mud or wood putty. If you feel that it is necessary to apply two coats make sure to sand the surface of the plywood for a more smooth and even.
3. Priming the Wood
Priming your wood is absolutely necessary to create an even surface for the paint. There are a couple of reasons why you need to prime your wood before you paint on them.
- To seal off cracks, holes, and any form of a dent on the wood
- To stop the paint from soaking into the wood
- To create an affinity between the wood surface and the paint
After applying the primer allow to dry for a period of time before painting.
4. Choosing your Paint
For perfect results, ensure that your paint of choice is of high quality and apply with a good brush in the direction of the upper grain. It is quite standard to apply two coatings in order to achieve the best results. Apply the first coat then allow to fully dry before applying the next coat. Some of the best paints for plywood projects are epoxy paints and water-based acrylic latex paints which offer durability and a beautiful finish.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is imperative to note that plywood absorbs paint, therefore painting directly on plywood may not give the desired results. A primer helps smooth the surface of the wood and to avoid absorption into the wood.
Wall paint can be used on plywood but there are special paints that have been formulated to suit wood surfaces. Some of the best types of paint for wood are milk paint, latex paint, chalk paint, oil paint, and acrylic paint.
Yes, it is important. This is because plywood has end grain in its edges and needs to be properly sealed. Also, remember to wipe off the dust on the surface caused by sanding the plywood before you apply the primer.
There are many types of waterproofing that can be applied to protect your plywood. The most popular are the spray-on or the paint-on types. These chemicals are largely liquid latex substances that are applied to the wet plywood, once the plywood dries; it forms a protective plastic layer.
The best way to finish is to get a well-prepared smooth surface using sandpaper before applying your finish. The project plywood has to be sanded with at least 150 grit sandpaper. The direction of sanding should be in alignment with the wood grain to avoid scars across the wood grain.
Painting your plywood garage interior is a most challenging venture if you are not sure about where to even begin, but it quickly becomes satisfying when you are confident about your paint and color choices.