Looking to update the interior look of your brick wall garage? I bet one of the questions looming in your mind is “what is the best paint for garage brick walls?” You are not alone on this; many people often do it wrong and end up with flaking paint and in some cases, an alkali burned coat. Luckily, you have some guide to help you through this decision- us!
5 Best-Selling Paint for Garage Brick Walls
- 1. INSL-X Acrylic Masonry Waterproofer, Water Block
- 2. Rust-Oleum Latex Premium Paint
- 3. Rust-Oleum Quart, Protective Enamel
- 4. KILZ Stain and Odor Stopper, White, Interior Primer
- 5. Valspar Latex Satin Enamel, Porch & Floor
- Brick Walls Painting Tips:
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
We did our research and we garnered a few helpful information that you would find invaluable while choosing paint for your garage brick walls. We even took the liberty of narrowing down your options to five ultimate brick wall paints that your garage brick wall absolutely cannot slay without.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Paint for Garage Brick Walls
- 1) water based coating for sealing vertical interior and exterior concrete walls. great for basement walls, foundations and retaining walls.
- fast drying waterproof paint for interior/exterior basement walls, cinder blocks, stucco and brick, and masonry.
- high alkali resistance – up to ph-13.
- waterproofing paint keeps basement walls dry
- paint only when surface and air temperatures are between 50 ° (10 °c) and 90 °f (32.2 °c).
The water-based foundation paint is mold and mildew resistant, fast-drying, and perfect for painting on walls, cinder blocks, bricks, and others. Its alkali resistance is as high as PH-13. The paint should only be applied at optimum temperatures such as 10oC and 32.2oC. The acrylic paint can tolerate as much as 12 psi hydrostatic pressure. Popular reviews have appraised the brick wall painted as very durable and one of the best.
- use for a variety of indoor and outdoor project surfaces including wood, metal, plaster, masonry or unglazed ceramic
- water-based acrylic formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- covers up to 120 sq ft and dries to touch in 30 minutes for quick project completion
- gloss finish provides a fresh new look for surfaces, goes on smoothly and provides excellent hide
- prior to application sand surfaces with 180/200 grit sandpaper, then wash with a degreaser, allow the surface to dry and apply paint
The Rust-Oleum is a renowned name, known for its excellence and perfect finishes. Whether it’s an indoors surface or outdoors project on other surfaces such as wood, metal, unglazed ceramic, and others, the ultra-cover paint is perfect for the task. It has a low odor and resists chips. It also gives you a long-lasting solution to interior aesthetics. The 30-min fast drying makes it a go-to paint for quick projects. The excellence of the gloss colonial red is perfect for any surface that requires an attractive finish.
- weather and corrosion resistant coating protects exterior/interior surfaces like wood, metal, concrete, masonry and more
- oil-based formula provides a durable protective coating with excellent rust prevention
- dries to the touch in 2-4 hours and covers up to 90 sq. ft.
- excellent resistance to abrasion, fading and chipping
- glossy finish provides a fresh shine to surfaces
all paints are not equal! The gloss white, oil enamel provides you with maximum protection from rust and has been a trusted brand for any form of surface painting for years on end. The paint is corrosion and weather resistant, retaining its integrity in all weather conditions. It gives your wall more than just a glossy finish. It also bestows resistance to abrasion as well as chipping and fading. The paint dries up in at least 2 to 4 hours and can cover 90 sq. ft.
- kilz restoration (formerly kilz max) is a water-base primer, sealer and stain blocker developed with new technology that is formulated to perform like an oil-based product.
- it tackles tough stains including medium to heavy water damage, rust, smoke, nicotine, grease, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker, pet stains and more. seals strong odors (fire, smoke, pets)
- topcoat with latex or oil-based paint. use on properly prepared interior surfaces, such as: brick, ceramic tile, drywall, glass, masonry, painted metal, plaster, stucco and wood. performance of oil and shellac / blocks tough stains (heavy water, grease and typical interior stains) and odors. dries hard, sands easily - a great enamel undercoat
- use on: drywall, woodwork, plaster, masonry, brick, painted metal, ceramic tile, glass and most other glossy surfaces. use on properly prepared surfaces free of dust, grease, chalk, rust and peeling paint. mix well before using. apply with brush, roller or airless sprayer.
- this is a 1-gallon can of kilz restoration latex primer, sealer, and stain blocker for interior surfaces in white. covers approximately 300-400 square feet per gallon. kilz has been making premium primers and paints for 40 years. kilz was named paint brand of the year in 2015 in the harris poll equitrend rankings.
There are so many reasons why the KILZ restoration has made it to our exclusive list. The primer is specially formulated to act as an oil-based paint. It wipes away stains from literally any source such as smoke, tannin, grease, rust, pet stains, marker, and others. It should be used on surfaces that are free from chalk, rust, peeling paint, grease, mold, and others. That’s not all, the paint masks strong odors such as pets, fire, and even smoke. It is essential to mix the paint very well before application. The 1-gallon can cover up to 300 to 400 sq. ft per gallon.
- use on wood, concrete, floors, primed metal, steps, railings and porches
- for interior and exterior use
- multi-purpose and weather resistant
- water clean-up and wear resistant
Introducing one of the best sellers, due to its multipurpose applications; the Valspar is one versatile odor-free paint that can be applied on surfaces such as concrete, metal, wood, steps, porches, floors, railings, and others. it is perfect for both exterior and interior use. The 1-gallon paint dries in very little time, leaving behind a solid smooth finish.
Brick Walls Painting Tips:
1. Do Not Paint New Brick Walls
No one will tell you this but brand new brick walls make the worst canvases to paint on. They are layered with a powdery substance which hinders painting. Rather, allow the brick walls about a month to properly cure before you start painting otherwise the powdery surface will not be able to hold on to paint.
2. Start Clean
Ensure that the brick wall is clean and completely free of greasy stains, or any form of debris. A good way to rid the wall of stains and debris is to wash it with soap of any kind and water. Once the wall is dry you can proceed to the next phase
You don’t want to start painting your garage brick wall without priming it first, it could be a disaster. Whether your brick wall is old or new, it is always advised that you prime to bind loose materials and seal up porous surfaces. The primer has to compliment the paint. Go for oil-based primer if you intend to use oil paint or opt for a water-based primer if you are thinking about utilizing latex paint for your brick wall.
Once you have the right tools such as the roller, paint sprayer, bristle brush, and others you can recreate the interior of your garage with the best paint for garage brick walls. Let’s take a look at some of the best paints for brick walls.
Here are some guidelines for choosing the best paint for your garage brick walls.
1. Choose the Right Complementing Colors
It’s a no-brainer that the colors from top to bottom have to complement each other. This doesn’t mean you cannot use bits of combinations to make your personal space more inviting or create some personality for yourself. Simply scan through a few design color themes to help you understand which colors would work best for you. We recommend Tan, grey, white, neutral blue or green, and beige.
2. Choose the Right Paint Type
The idea behind choosing paint for your garage is with the assumption that often acts as a storage house, warehouse, workspace, and other things. So, the sorts of paint used have to be durable and not easily scratched. It has to dry faster than regular paint to avoid smearing, and should probably have less odor or vapors. It is obvious that you can’t use exterior paint in your garage as they are certainly not stain resistant compared to paints that have been specially formulated for spaces like the garage. The right paint type would be resistant to scratch, mold, stains etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Water-based acrylic paint is the best for brick walls
Whether the brick wall is an old one or a new one, you should use a primer before painting. This is important as it allows the paint to adhere to the wall.
As a matter of fact, they are in some cases. There’s the normal maintenance for chipped parts, regular cleaning on the lighter parts of the colored brick, and repainting, not to mention the fact that painting bricks may trap moisture in the spaces.
Bricks are not exactly made to be painted, but if you were to paint them, they would probably last around 3 to 5 years.
Painting a brick wall is a total upgrade and not only increases the visual appeal but also increases the value of the home itself.
Choosing the right paint for your garage brick wall isn’t so difficult now, is it? With the array of options that we have highlighted so far, you certainly have the best paints for your garage brick wall at your fingertips. The right paint for your garage is no different than other parts of the house or even an office. The right paint will give your garage that original luster and cozy feel, especially if you plan on spending hours in the garage as a workspace; they feel definitely matters. Paints come in various colors, types, brands, and so on.