It is not enough that your metal garage door is functioning well. It would be so much better if it looks good too. And one of the ways by which you can improve the appearance of your metal garage door is by painting it with a color that suits all the other colors found in the exterior of your house.
5 Best-Selling Exterior Paint for Metal Garage Door to Prevent Rust
- 1. Rust-Oleum 7777502 Protective Enamel
- 2. Rust-Oleum 206999 Marine Topside Paint
- 3. Rust-Oleum 1976730 Painters Touch Latex
- 4. POR-15 45718 Top Coat Gloss Clear Spray Paint
- 5. Giani Wood Look Paint Kit for Garage Doors
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
However, considering that your garage door is outside, it is going to be exposed to wind, rain, snow, sunlights, and other substances which may reduce its quality or cause it to rust or incur other types of damage. Thus, it is essential to choose not just the right color but also the right kind of paint.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Exterior Paint for Metal Garage Door to Prevent Rust
- weather and corrosion resistant coating protects exterior/interior surfaces like wood, metal, concrete, masonry and more
- oil-based formula provides a durable protective coating with excellent rust prevention
- dries to the touch in 2-4 hours and covers up to 100 sq. ft.
- excellent resistance to abrasion, fading and chipping
- satin finish offers a low-sheen look
Rust-Oleum produces some of the best paints for outdoor use that protect metal surfaces from getting rusty. Aside from rust protection, this paint will also keep your garage door away from abrasion, fading, or chipping. This paint dries up in as fast as two to four hours so you will not have to wait very long.
It has a satin finish which provides a low-sheen look, and if you have some left after painting your exterior space, you can use the excess for painting the inside of your house because this one is also perfect for that.
- ideal for use on fiberglass, wood or metal surfaces above the waterline
- oil-based formula is flexible and applies easily with excellent leveling
- dries to the touch in as little as 1 to 2 hours and covers up to 100 sq ft
- durable coating resists abrasion and extreme weather conditions and provides long-lasting uv protection
- superior gloss retention and smooth finish help maintain the beauty and elegance of your surfaces
Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint can be used on fiberglass, wood, or metal surfaces. It has an oil-based formula, which allows you to apply it with ease. If you are looking for paint that lasts long and yet dries fast, this one just might be the perfect one since it can dry up in as fast as one to two hours.
What makes this paint special is that it prevents abrasions and harsh weather from damaging your metal garage door. In addition, it provides long lasting protection from harmful UV rays of the sun. This paint has great gloss retention which improves the appearance of your garage door even more.
- use for a variety of indoor and outdoor project surfaces including wood, metal, plaster, masonry or unglazed ceramic
- water-based acrylic formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- covers up to 30 sq ft and dries to touch in 30 minutes for quick project completion
- flat finish minimizes surface imperfections, goes on smoothly and provides excellent hide
- prior to application sand surfaces with 180/200 grit sandpaper, then wash with a degreaser, allow the surface to dry and apply paint
Fast drying paints are an excellent choice especially if you do not have the patience or time to wait for your metal garage door to dry up. This is one of those paints. This paint from Rust-Oleum, which dries up in as quickly as half an hour, can be used not just on metal surfaces, but also on wood, plaster, masonry, or unglazed ceramics.
It has a water-based and low odor formula and it prevents your metal garage door from being damaged by chipping and abrasions.
- direct to metal (dtm) rust preventive paint
- no need for primer or undercoat
- use over por-15 rust preventive
- uv resistant
- flash point: 41.00
Usually, garage doors are painted using rollers or brushes, but spray paints such as this one actually do a pretty decent job. This spray paint prevents rust from damaging the metal surface of your metal garage door and in addition to that, you will not have a hard time applying it evenly. The best part about this is that it provides a UV resistant coating so that color does not easily fade away even if your garage door is exposed to sunlight for a long time.
- from cold, plain white or simple solid, paint your garage door to look like wood in a single morning or afternoon with giani wood look paint for garage doors!
- the giani wood look paint kit is a simple, two-step application that will transform smooth, embossed, flat or raised panel doors into high-end carriage style doors in just three hours.
- giani wood look paint is a water-based acrylic, safe, low on odor and vocs, but designed for outdoor durability and weather resistance while covering up to 180 sq. ft.
- each kit contains: two 16 oz. giani royal mahogany wood tone base coat, two 16 oz. giani royal mahogany wood grain finish coat, giani paint mitt, 2" brush, 2 plastic tarps, 6" roller arm & cover, and 2 stir sticks
- add instant curb appeal to your home in just 3 hours with giani wood look paint kits!
Garage doors that seem to be made out of beautiful polished wood never run out of style. If this sort of color or finish is your type, then this paint just might be the perfect one for you. It is water-based and with just a few strokes, it easily makes your garage door appear as if it is made out of high quality natural wood.
Each kit contains everything you need to give your metal garage door a nice wooden color. Inside, you will find a base coat, a finish coat, a paint mitt, brushes, plastic tarps, a roller arm and stir sticks. After painting, it can dry up in as fast as three hours.
1. Surface to be painted
Exterior surfaces are different from interior ones, thus it is important that you go for paint that has been specifically formulated for outdoor use.
When buying paint, color is one of the most important factors that you should consider. Choose something similar to the old color or something that matches the color palette of the rest of your house or if you wish, you can also choose a unique color.
3. Sun exposure
Since your garage door tends to be exposed to sunlight, it would be a great idea to purchase paint that provides protection against UV rays.
Frequently Asked Questions
It depends on the paint you are buying. Some have been formulated such that they dry fast, while others take hours. Check the label of the paint you are buying so you know when you can use the newly painted surface or apply the next coating.
Some spray paints are perfect for metal garage doors. In fact, they allow you to put a more even coating unlike rollers and paint brushes.
Traditionally brushes and rollers are used. But if you can afford to buy spray paint or transfer the gallon you have purchased in a sprayer, that would be better because the coating tends to be more even when applied via spraying.
It depends on the size of the space you are planning to paint and also the brand and the type of pain that you are going to use.
You can definitely do it yourself, but make sure you do some research so that the entire process goes smoothly especially if you are not familiar with painting outdoors.
When getting the perfect paint for your metal garage door, make sure that the color is just right for your liking and that it provides some sort of protection, may that be from the sun, from rain, or rust, to ensure that your garage door lasts longer.