The garage is one of the rooms in the home that are not intended for living. It is subject to National Electric Code and International Residential Code when it comes to electrical outlets. For starters, all single-phase, 125 volts outlets that are 15 to 20 amps need to be GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) protected.
5 Best-Selling Electrical Outlets for Garage
- 1. GE Grounded 3-Prong Plug, 6-Outlet with Reset Button and Circuit Breaker
- 2. Faith Grounded 2-Outlet with Wall Plate
- 3. Luxtronic Multiple Outlet Power Splitter with Surge Protector
- 4. Leviton GFCI Receptacle Outlet with Wall Plate and LED Indicator
- 5. ANKO 20A Tamper-Proof, Weatherproof GFCI Outlet with Wall Plates
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
GFCI protected outlets are essential in garages as they prevent situations that can easily result in electric shock. When choosing electric outlets for your garage, go for those that come with a reset or test button. Here are some outlets that you can consider for your garage.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Electrical Outlets for Garage
- ideal for home offices and home theaters where electronic devices are used
- 6 grounded outlets : accepts 3 bulky ac adapters & 3 standard plugs
- circuit breaker : 15a circuit breaker shuts off power to the outlers in case of an overload or short circuit
- reset switch : handy switch located on top of the unit
- ul listed
If you are looking for multiple grounded outlets in one, this could be a great choice. Of the 6 outlets, 3 can accept bulky AC adapters, and the other 3 can work with standard plugs. The reset switch is conveniently located on the top part of the unit.
The outlet comes with a 15A circuit breaker which shuts off power in case of a short circuit or overload. It is compact, designed to save space, and is compatible with other grounded 3-prong outlets.
- specifications: electrical rating 20a/125v/2500w. meets or exceeds ul943 2015 standards. compliant with national electric code (nec) requirements. etl listed.
- slim gfci outlet: new slim, modern design for easier and quicker installation in shallow electrical boxes.
- gfi outlets: provides protection from electrical shocks that might occur from faulty appliances in damp locations. device detects and trips on ground faults within 1/40 of a second
- auto-test 20 amp gfci outlet: to ensure continuous protection against ground faults, the gfci outlet conducts automatic self-tests. install in your bathroom, kitchen, garage, and basement.
- package contents: (1)20amp white gfci receptacle, (1) 4.59"x 2.76" white wall plate, (2) screws, installation manual, stickers, us-based customer support
This 125V, 20A outlet is NEC compliant and exceeds the 2015 UL943 standards. It comes in a slim design that makes installation quick and easy.
The GFCI outlet provides protection in case a faulty appliance is plugged in or the outlet is installed in a damp location. It detects faults and trips within 0.025 of a second. The 20A auto-test keeps the outlet protected against ground faults at all times.
This 2500W outlet comes with an LED indicator; the green color indicates that the outlet is working well. Once powered, this outlet, through the GFCI receptacle, conducts automatic self-tests every 2.5 hours to ensure that the connection stays safe.
- surge protector: expansions of wall outlets, offering a level of protection against power strikes.
- ample room: this device allows 2 outlets to be converted into 6 ac outlets and 4 smart usb ports.
- optimum charge: universally compatible, plug in your phone, laptop, lamp, fan, or even microwave!
- safety ensured: the safe, fireproof shell ensures that your family and your home are protected.
- specifications: designed with 245 joules of surge protection, 4.2a usb charging, and a cradle ledge.
If you fancy an outlet with 4 USB charging ports and 6 AC 3-prong outlets, this is the option for you. The outlet is designed for optimum charge and can even support a microwave!
The outlet comes with a surge protector, and its exterior is fire-proof for extra safety. It also comes with a convenient cradle ledge. It is the perfect, safe solution for when you want to increase the number of outlets from 2.
- for an added layer of protection, the gfci regularly conducts an automatic internal test to confirm that it can respond to a ground fault
- provides continuous ground fault protection detects and trips on actual ground fault even when self test is being conducted
- status indicator light shows power and protection status as well as indication of line/load reversal
- patented lockout action prevents reset if gfci is damaged and cannot respond to a ground fault
- slim, shallow design reduced depth makes it easier to install
The Leviton GFNT1 garage outlet is tamper-resistant and comes with a self-test mechanism to ensure that the outlet is always safe to use. It has an LED indicator that shows you that all is well especially after the self-tests.
This 15A outlet is manufactured with a patented lockout mechanism. This mechanism prevents reset if the GFCI receptacle is broken and fails to respond to ground fault. It also features a slim design that makes it easy to install and use with other standard grounded outlet extenders.
- gfci outlet - constructed with premium high-impact resistant thermoplastic materials and rational structure design, ensures superior strength and durability. it a single gang gfci electrical box that supports a standard duplex, grounded receptacle; safe electrical gfci outlet tester with test and reset buttons and led indicator is designed to meet local and national electrical codes.
- safty - the anko gfci usb outlet meets ul-listed ygb-095wr, 20 amp, 125 volt, 60hz. tamper resistant receptacle prevents young children from inserting unwanted objects into the outlets. for an added layer of protection, the gfci regularly conducts an automatic internal test to confirm that it can respond to a ground fault, provides continuous ground fault protection.
- weather resistant - constructed with advanced uv stabilized engineering to provide superior corrosion, temperature, and uv resistance, preventing discoloration and aging, ideal for outdoor & indoor use. ground fault circuit interrupter gfci outlets are required in kitchens and bathrooms and within 25 feet of heating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment to prevent electrical shock in areas subject to moisture.
- self test - two indicator light provides simple, intuitive feedback on power and protection status. if the indicator (led) glows green, you have installed the gfci receptacle correctly and it is working properly. the gfci outlet automatically conducts a self-test(the red light will blink once) every 40 seconds to ensure the gfci is continually working. when the gfci receptacle reaches the end of its' life the red indicator will turn on, it reminds you to replace the outlet in time.
- easy installation: the gfci receptacle can be easily installed in the electric box as little as 10 minutes by following our detailed instructions. unbreakable polycarbonate decorator wall plates, screws and complete installation instructions included.
This GFCI outlet is incredibly durable and safe, thanks to its premium-grade thermoplastic structure and polycarbonate wall plates. The thermoplastic exterior is strong enough to withstand high impact. The exterior can also withstand temperature changes, UV rays, corrosion, and discoloration making it suitable for garage use.
As a single gang electrical outlet, this ANKO option supports a standard duplex and comes with a grounded receptacle. It also comes with an outlet tester that has Reset and Test buttons as well as an LED indicator. It is slim, easy to install, and comes with clear installation and maintenance instructions for optimal performance.
1. Versatile Design and Construction
The most ideal electrical outlets for the garage are those that can fit in with a majority of grounded outlet splitters. The outlet should preferably be weatherproof and tamper-proof. Additionally, it would be beneficial to have an outlet that can work well even in humid conditions, especially if your garage is particularly humid.
2. Self-Test Outlets
It is mandatory to conduct tests, at least monthly. This is especially so if the home or room has been recently renovated or the electric system has been upgraded. Often times, you may forget to test the electric connection. If you have a lot of work to do and testing may slip your mind, get a self-test GFCI outlet.
3. Reset Lock Protection
If you have a self-test outlet, it will always trip the reset switch when it finds a fault. Reset lock protection makes sure that you do not manually reset the outlet until the issue is fixed. This protection comes in handy in case of faulty wiring. It is also an incredible fire safety asset.
4. LED Indicator
A majority of the GFCI outlets come with LED light indicator that shows protection and power status. To test if the indicator is working as expected, check if it is on when the socket is live and off when the outlet is switched off.
5. Ease of Installation and Maintenance
A good number of GFCI outlets are easy to install and they come with detailed, easy to follow instructions. If you are not familiar with electric installations, be sure to work with a professional. Keep in mind that a small installation mistake can cause costly disasters.
All the outlets that are tested and approved by UL are considered safe and come with a guarantee. UL certification shows that all aspects of the outlet have been tested and been found to work as claimed. In addition to being safe for use, it is important to note that most insurance service providers do not cover fire issues caused by outlets that are not UL-certified.
Frequently Asked Questions
A ground fault circuit interrupter outlet is designed to protect you from electric shocks in case there is an electrical fault. The GFCI outlets have two rectangular shaped buttons on the face of the outlet, unlike their regular counterparts. These buttons have the words ‘reset’ or ‘test’ on them.
No. Circuit breakers are designed to shut off power in the event of dangerous current overload as well as electrical faults. GFCIs are a lot more sensitive and designed to shut off currents that can shock a person but may not trip a circuit breaker
Yes, and here is why. The garage is prone to higher levels of dust, moisture, and high temperatures in addition to worn insulation and old electrical appliances. These are some of the most common causes of ground faults.
GFCI outlets prevent ground faults, thereby saving you the damage that comes with these faults. These faults make up to 80 % of all electrical equipment failures.
This could be as a result of a myriad of issues such as faulty wiring or faulty outlet. If you have a GFCI outlet that recently stopped working, there could be an electrical fault that you need to fix before you can reset the outlet. It is best to work with a professional if you are not familiar with electrical wiring.
Garage outlets ought to be tamper-proof, weather-proof, and can work in humid areas and high temperatures. When looking for the best electrical outlets for your garage, go for those that are duly certified.
- 5 Best Oil-Based Paints for Garage Floors: How to Choose a Protective yet Gorgeous Paint for Garage Floors - March 11, 2021
- 5 Best Oscillating Heater for Garage - March 10, 2021
- 5 Best MTB Racks for Garage: What to Look For in a Garage Bike Rack - February 26, 2021