The bonus room above the garage, for some reason, is always colder in winter or hotter in summer than the main house. In most homes, builders do not insulate this room. In some cases, the thermal treatment is inadequate and there are air leaks which mess up the temperatures in the room.
5 Best-Selling Air Conditioner for Bonus Room Above Garage
- 1. The Serenelife Portable 4-In-1 Air Conditioner with Heater and Dehumidifier
- 2. Newair Portable 3-In-1 Air Conditioner
- 3. VacPlus Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier and Wi-Fi Remote
- 4. Honeywell 12,000 BTU Portable AC with Dual Filtration System
- 5. Black & Decker 8,000 BTU Portable AC
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Apart from insulating the room, another effective solution to this issue is getting a good quality air conditioner. If the room is rarely used, you can install an air conditioner that is separate from that of the main house. That way, this AC is used only when needed. Here are some options available to you.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Air Conditioner for Bonus Room Above Garage
- handy and portable: the serene life portable air conditioner system features a lightweight, handy, sleek body design intended to be used in the bedroom, living room, or garage at home or office. it features rolling wheels for easy portability
- built-in dehumidifier: you don’t only get the cooling effect of the portable ac, but it also helps reduce humidity levels, acts as purifier which makes your home less hospitable to allergens such as dust mites, mold, and mildew by selecting dehumidifier mode.wipe with soft semi-dry cloth
- 4 operating modes: the compact floor ac indoor cooler conditioning unit features a simple electric plug in operation and has 4 modes - cooling, heating, dehumidifier, and fan. also features automatic swing mode w/ moving wind vent for maximum air circulation
- remote control: features a digital touch button control panel which includes the power, mode, timer, temperature, and fan speed settings. other functions such as unit selector (°c/°f), sleep key can be adjusted using the included remote control
- great for all year round: with 10, 000 btu cooling power and 9, 000 btu heating power, this is the best option to save space and money. the cold air can cover a room up to 350+ sq. ft. , air flow is rated at 290 m3/hr., moisture removal/dehumidifier at 15 liters/hr. w/ an operating noise level of only 52-56 dba
Serving up to 350 sq. ft, this portable AC is sleek and lightweight. It comes with a built-in dehumidifier, a heater, and a fan in varying modes. It allows you to choose any of the 4 modes you fancy when you need it or it can be set to change automatically.
The AC comes with a remote control that allows you to power it on and off, set fan speed, temperature and timer to suit personal preferences. The cooler comes with 10,000BTU power while the heater has 9,000BTU power. This AC’s operating noise level is about 52 to 56 dB.
- swamp cooler - this powerful fan and evaporative cooler offers two ways to cool your personal space
- features - with 3 fan speeds, 3 cooling modes and an automatic timer, this air humidifier has is all
- eco-friendly - instead of freon and other chemicals, get climate control that uses clean evaporation
- quality - this portable air conditioner is made with quality materials, to keep you comfy all day
- newair - with good quality products and excellent customer service, newair is a name you can trust
Powered by 80 watts AC outlet, this air conditioner can serve a room that is up to 100 sq. ft. It features 3 modes, through which you can choose whether to activate the fan, cooler, or dehumidifier.
It’s a stylish, compact, and lightweight portable AC that can be used in the bonus room above the garage. It is an evaporative cooler with a modern design that takes very little space. It comes with a remote control that allows you to customize settings from anywhere in the room. It also comes with a timer.
- 100% risk-free satisfaction: vacplus always pays 120% attention to our customers - each vacplus dehumidifier will be meticulously tested by our in-house engineering team to proactively address and prevent design or mechanical issues. buy vacplus now!
- full-featured wifi remote & 4 operation modes: vacplus dehumidifier provides the wifi remote via the tuyasmart app that expands the limits of this dehumidifier for bathroom: remote switch; humidity monitoring and adjustment; 4 operation modes to choose ( standard / raining / drying / sleep ) - no more repeatedly leaving your bed or couch to adjust it and combating condensation & damp with further energy savings due to smart app scheduling! and rare is its 35.9 db average sound while working.
- constant humidity & well-lit led control panel: vacplus basement dehumidifiers for home, featured with intelligent constant humidity can monitor humidity levels and adjust itself to maintain the selected one - saves you from repeatedly turning the portable dehumidifier on / off. for easier use, the featured top mounted control panel with led display uses 3 colors to remind you the present humidity. best choice for baby, pregnant woman, and the old.
- 24-hr timer & optional drainage: vacplus bathroom dehumidifier provides you with 24-hr timer: you can program it to turn on / off after a specified amount of time, which helps you save money on a tariff offering cheaper energy at certain times of a day. additionally, this basement dehumidifier can automatically shut off when the 3.1l-tank (with splash guard) is full. and you can also use the dehumidifier drain hose connection to free yourself from the hassle of emptying the bucket.
- large dehumidifier with powerful & durable compressor: vacplus improves dehumidifying efficiency by 25% - removing up to 50 pints (under 90% rh @ 86°f condition) moisture per day, which helps to prevent the peeling of wallpaper & your furniture away from odors. the dehumidifying efficiency is affected by the air flow, the smaller space means more obvious effect. ps. the amount of dehumidification may change with temperatures & humidity environment.
If the bonus room above the garage is particularly humid, this AC option is worth looking into. Its humidifier comes with a WiFi remote that you can use to set and monitor desired levels. This VacPlus AC comes with a timer that you can customize so that the AC goes on and off at selected times only.
This AC’s dehumidifier is so powerful that it improves efficacy by up to 25%. This removes up to 50 pints of moisture from the room in a day. In addition to keeping the room comfortable for habitation, this efficacy saves the wall paints and wallpapers from peeling.
- stylish, powerful & dependable - cools rooms 450-550 sq. ft. thermal overload protection for added safety & peace of mind. automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool air evenly for fast & consistent cooling
- dual filters designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. filters clean easily under a faucet for easy maintenance. full set window kit included for quick & easy installation for vertical and horizontal windows (max. hose length is 4 feet)
- designed for comfort with 3 fan speeds, sleep mode, digital controls, 24 hour energy saving timer & remote control with digital display included
- stress-free auto evaporation – no bucket to empty (except in areas with high humidity). built-in dehumidifier removes up to 86 pints/24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation
- 12000 btu (ashrae-128 standard) / 6500 btu (doe+ 2017 standard)
It is sleek, powerful, and can serve spaces that are up to 550 sq. ft. It comes with thermal overload protection which ensures that it stays safe during use, and automatic vertical wind motions for even and fast cooling.
This portable AC’s dual filtration system is designed to protect it from dust, dirt, and hair, thereby giving it a longer lifespan. The filters are easy to clean and maintain.
It comes with various modes that allow you to set preferred temperature and noise levels. The humidifier is set to auto-evaporate unless the room has high humidity. This AC comes with all the necessary accessories for hassle-free installation.
- quiet & powerful - our 5,000 btu (8,000 btu ashrae) compact air conditioner (16.5 x 11.5 x 26 in,) will keep you cool and comfortable all summer. an adjustable fan speed cools the air to 65°f at the coolest setting. sleep mode makes it extra quiet while you rest
- perfect for small rooms - this floor-standing portable ac unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling for rooms up to 150 sq. ft. it’s the ideal small air conditioner for dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms
- simple & quick to install – just wheel this portable air conditioner into any room with a double hung or sliding window. attach the included hose (4’ 11”) & window adapter, & plug it in to an outlet! at the end of the season, just unhook & store. top mounted control panel with led display
- easy to use & clean – the simple remote control & top-mounted led display with 24-hour timer allow you to precisely control the air temperature. to clean the filter, just slide it out twice a month, rinse it thoroughly under running water, & put it back
- 3-in-1 functionality - combines 3 energy efficient functions for all of your cooling & ventilation needs with cool, fan, & dehumidifying modes all in one machine. bucket-less, self-evaporating operation makes your living space cool, clean and dry
As one of the great options when you need a powerful but compact AC, this unit is packed with dehumidifying, cooling, and air conditioning features. It is one of the simplest units to install, clean, and maintain. This portable unit comes with 4 castor wheels that make it easy to move around.
The AC comes with remote control and a timer. It has a sleep mode that auto-controls temperature while you sleep. While it is powerful, it is relatively quiet. It serves spaces of up to 150 sq. ft.
1. Size of the room
Air conditioner manufacturers usually specify the size of the room that the unit can effectively serve. Generally, the power of an AC (measured in BTU) will show the size of the room that the unit can serve.
Air conditioners are known to be noisy, regardless of the type. Most manufacturers strive to make ACs as quiet as possible. If a manufacturer strives to make the AC quiet, they will be sure to announce it in the product description. The noise is measured in decibels (dB). The lower the dB value, the quieter the AC unit.
3. Installation Process
If you opt for a portable AC unit, installation is easy – for most units. The challenging part of the installation process is hooking up the ventilation window kit. However, all AC units come with clear, step – by – step instructions and accessories needed for the installation.
4. Condensation Type
ACs are designed to either deposit the collected condensed air into a bucket that you have to occasionally dump or use an exhaust hose. Some ACs are no-drip, meaning that they can auto-evaporate the condensed air or release it into the atmosphere so no need to dump anything.
Look out for the features you want and need in an AC. These could be options such as a programmable thermostat, remote control, auto drainage, dehumidifier, heat and cooling combo among others. AC features are usually indicated in the product description.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. When dealing with the bonus room above the garage, you may not use it as often as the main house. Therefore, you can opt for a different AC system (in addition to insulation) or purchase a portable AC for the room.
It depends on the AC you get. Some have an internal bucket that you will need to dumb periodically while others are equipped with automatic self-evaporate technology. Many units today, thanks to technology, do not need you to keep dumping or draining.
Most of the units in the market today are energy efficient. However, to verify that a unit is indeed energy efficient, look out for EER (Energy Efficiency Rating). A high EER means that the AC is more energy efficient.
It depends on the unit you have purchased. All the units come with instructions and the required accessories from the manufacturer. The manufacturer also gives instructions and recommendations for cleaning and maintenance.
All ACs need to be installed in a place where they can release heat. A window is the most convenient option. If it is not there, other options such as an exhaust tube or a small vent leading to the outside would do the trick.
If you are not sure of the features of the Air Conditioner that you think will be appropriate for the bonus room above the garage, do some research and talk to the seller.
- 5 Best Oil-Based Paints for Garage Floors: How to Choose a Protective yet Gorgeous Paint for Garage Floors - March 11, 2021
- 5 Best Oscillating Heater for Garage - March 10, 2021
- 5 Best MTB Racks for Garage: What to Look For in a Garage Bike Rack - February 26, 2021